Sunday, September 23, 2007

Why I Don't Do Hills






This is where I get to run! And it's just two short blocks from my house. Today was exceptionally beautiful because we got our first rain storm of the season Friday night/Saturday morning. To the right of the sand is a running/bike path. This morning I saw my neighbor walking his dogs, a coworker walking her husband, a woman I met in a volleyball class 9 years ago, and my friends Dee and Ted playing volleyball. Not to mention all of the regular runners I nod to and smile at. I felt like a minor celebrity. It's perfect. I could run over 20 miles on this path, and there are water fountains and restrooms strategically located along the way. And except for the occasional pervert, I feel very safe, comfortable, and happy running here. But it is FLAT, and I have some races with hills approaching.

Usually I don't think about the fact that I should be running hills until AFTER the race. So I guess I am making some progress ... I am at least thinking about it now. I am going to run the Manhattan Beach 10k on Octber 6 (my birthday!), and there are a couple of decent hills. But the run in the SD Triathlon Challenge is HILL - LY! I know I need to start running hills, but it is difficult to tear myself away from the beauty of my home turf. Maybe next weekend!

No comments: