Monday, December 31, 2007

Farewell 2007


Ah, the sun sets on yet another year. And I have to admit I'm happy to see this one go. Yes, I accomplished a great deal this year ... training for and completing an Ironman while raising over $9000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I made some great friends along the way too. Yet my Mom's passing on January 18, 2007, put a damper on things to say the least. I know she's proud of me. I just wish she could have been here to share this success with me. My Dad too (he died on January 15, 2002).

My Dad was my first coach. He had my four older brothers and me doing drills daily ... swinging the bat 50 times in front of a mirror, fielding balls, playing catch, etc.; but always we were thinking ... visualizing the ball and thinking about the play we would make. And quitting or giving up was never an option. My Mom was team mom, manager, score keeper, etc. If there was a job that needed doing, she did it. I don't know how she did it, but she seemed to attend EVERYTHING for all FIVE of us. Amazing! She even traveled from Arizona to San Diego to be there for my first triathlon! She was a little disturbed by the "skimpy outfits" worn by some of the athletes, and she thought I should have won, but she was there for me. Always. Thank you both.

No comments: