Sunday, August 31, 2008

What's Next?

So, I have put Ironman behind me, for now. Next year's IM Canada was accepting on-line registration for the first time since I've been involved in the sport. The race usually sells out in 1 day to those who live in or are visiting Penticton, but not this year. I have to admit, I did think about signing up, but not for long. I am going to stick to my plan of losing weight, getting faster, and doing some shorter races.

I returned to work last week. This means I have less time to work out, but it also means a return to a structured schedule and a routine. I like routine. I have been running more frequently, 4-5 times a week. My plan is to run at least 4 days a week, swim twice, weights twice, yoga once, and cycle when I feel like it.

I will be doing the 1.2 mile swim as part of a relay team at the San Diego Triathlon Challenge on October 26th. This triathlon is the main fundraising event for the Challenged Athletes Foundation, and is my favorite day of the year! I am doing the swim so I can spend the rest of the day cheering on athletes and soaking up all the inspiration I can. Since I started doing triathlons 3 years ago my goal has always been to survive the swim. At Vineman this year, I pushed a little harder when I was swimming with the current. I took 20 minutes off my previous IM swim time, and felt good coming out of the water. So I think I need to revise my goal for the swim. Since I will only be doing the swim at the SDTC I can experiment with swimming a little harder. I will have a time goal closer to race day. For now, though, I have a fundraising goal of $3500. If you haven't already done so, please consider making a donation today. Thanks!

I'm not signed up for any other races in 2008, but I am considering the following: Manhattan Beach 10k on Oct. 4th, Bonelli Olympic distance triathlon on Oct. 5th, and Santa Barbara Half Marathon on Nov. 1st. I am registered for 2 races next year: Carlsbad Half Marathon on Jan. 25th and California 70.3 triathlon on April 4th. This should be enough to keep me honest.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good job on getting back to WW. I find that it is the most realistic way to lose weight out there. I'm here for you if you need me to be. It's been awhile since you blogged. Like your last blog post is titled. . . What's next? What are you up to?

Melissa said...

Hey, what's up? How are you?