Sunday, August 3, 2008

Finished!

It's unofficial because I missed the cut-off time on the run, but I DID complete the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile swim in just over 17 hours.

The day started off great. The Russian River was 74 degrees (which made it a wetsuit legal race) and very calm. I finished in 1:32! A PR of over 20 minutes! The first loop of the bike was great. I was happy and I felt strong. The second loop was TOUGH. The temperatures climbed to 97, and I felt it. I took more time at the aid stations. Volunteers poured water over my body to help cool me down. I was drinking a lot of fluid - Heed/Carbo Pro and water, but I did not eat very much solid food. I was slowing down, but felt okay until mile 90. I got off my bike at the last aid station and immediately felt dizzy. I sat down on a chair in the shade while a volunteer poured cold water on me. I felt better and continued on. 10 miles later I hit Chalk Hill (the biggest on the course) for the second time. About half way up, my quads cramped up and I had to get off my bike. Again, I became dizzy. I found some shade, stretched out a bit, and cooled down. Another rider stopped to make sure I was okay and waited with me until I started moving again. I walked up the remainder of the hill. A first for me.

The run course is 3 loops and is filled with lots of hills. And it was still hot. The first 8+ miles took me 2:25. You had to start your 3rd loop by 9pm in order to continue, and I knew I would not make this cut off. I also knew that I would continue to run even if they did take my chip. 3 of my teammates were in the same boat. We ran together, which was great. It was dark and lonely out there on that last loop. Several of the volunteers stayed out even though the course was officially closed. Hank was stationed at the turn around point. They took the cone away, so he put out a little lamp for us to run around. We thought we were the last runners, and Hank followed us in his car, giving us light and moral support. Hank is the Honored Teammate for the Santa Rosa team. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 2003. Last year he was on the course until 1am, walking with a TNT participant. He followed us until we were about a half mile from the finish line, and then he went back to his post at the turn around point because we saw at least 3 more runners still on the course. He went back to support them. Amazing!

I know I said this last year, but I think I'm done with the Iron distance. I'll stick to more reasonable 70.3 races.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trish, I am in awe of you! I just went out for a 2 mile run in 81 degrees and nearly died! You absolutely amaze me with your strength, perseverence and courage. Thank you for sharing all of your victories with the blog world!

Melissa said...

You ROCKED it. Great job. I always enjoy reading your blog and you are always encouraging to me. I will be doing my first 1/2 Ironman in 2011 and my first Ironman in 2013. I cannot wait. Good job out there. You are amazing.