Sunday, October 28, 2007

San Diego Triathlon Challenge Cancelled

I received this email on Wednesday:

*** Cancellation Announcement ***

Due to the massive, widespread wildfires that have devastated San Diego County since Sunday (and continue to burn in the Northeast and Southeast parts of the county) we have decided the best and most prudent course of action is to cancel the 14th Annual Sempra Energy San Diego Triathlon Challenge and the Frog’s Fitness Tour de Cove scheduled for Sunday, Oct. 28, 2007 at La Jolla Cove.


The safety, well-being and enjoyment of all our event participants was the major factor in our decision-making process. At this point, we do not know what the air quality will be like on Sunday. We are also cognizant of the great losses suffered by many of our friends and neighbors across the county. We believe that after four days of severe disruptions that affected more than 500,000 San Diego County residents, and with an uncertain air quality forecast for Sunday, it is best not to proceed with the event at this time.

CAF thanks all our sponsors, friends and volunteers who have worked so hard to make this year’s San Diego Triathlon Challenge and Tour de Cove a success. Like you, we are very disappointed that the event will not go forward this weekend. However, we truly believe this is the right course of action. Thank you for your continued support of physically challenged athletes.

We will be in touch with further updates.

Yours in sport,

Virginia Tinley
CAF Executive Director


To say that I am disappointed is putting it mildly. I look forward to this event every year. It's better than Christmas. Particiants get a Nike duffle bag stuffed with goodies ... Nike running shoes, dri-fit shirts, t-shirt, sweatshirt, water bottles, Gu, goggles, towel, DVDs, Timex watch, etc. But even more important than the stuff I get, are the feelings I get. When I watch all those athletes with disabilities giving it their all, I get the feeling that ANYTHING is possible. I am filled with joy and admiriation; courage and humility; a sense that all is right in this crazy world.


Last year, 8 year old Jake attempted the hilly 13.1 mile run. He completed 8 miles and said that since he had already done the hardest part (the hills) he didn't need to finish. Indeed he didn't. I'm sure he will finish that run one day, but he is already a winner. He had the confidence and courage to start. That's more than half the battle.

I know that the good people at CAF made the right decision, and I know that I am one of the lucky ones. Yes, my favorite race was cancelled. Yes, the air quality was poor here and I missed a few workouts and my car is FILTHY. But I am alive, my house is still standing, and I am healthy.




1 comment:

Bolder said...

hey Trish, following up with you and everyone on your offer for help!

the blog is up here:

http://bloggersagainstcancer.blogspot.com/

we are working through the name, and a graphic design... have a look!